Silver Lake Public Library
Our Vision is to be a destination, The Place which creates community and elevates the quality and spirit of life for the people we serve
Our Mission is to provide excellent library services to the people of the community through a professional staff, a quality facility and first-class materials and programs.
- Open Access: the Library values free, open, unrestricted access to its collection and services.
- People Focus: the Library values all library users and recognizes that they have human concerns that go beyond their need for access to information or reading materials.
- Excellence: the Library values excellence by expecting integrity and competence, positive attitudes, respect for the diversity of people and perspectives in order to earn the trust and confidence of all library users.
- Lifelong Learning: the Library values the stimulation of ideas and the advancement of knowledge in the pursuit of excellence.
- Responsible Stewardship: the Library values the proper use of public funds and the efficient use of staff time and talent, maximizing all our resources in order to deliver quality library service.
Goal #1 : Market the library’s materials and resources and enhance the awareness and presence of the Library within its own community.
- Send out quarterly postal mailings using EDDM.
- Have the library director and board members get involved with community events.
- Collaborate with other organization and businesses in town.
- Provide opportunities for new or regular users to learn more about accessing library services.
- Consider use of staff or volunteers to conduct programming offsite.
- Set up tables at high school sporting events to display services provided by the library and upcoming programs.
Goal #2 : Satisfy curiosity and life-long learning in our community.
- Provide programming that improves core life skills, including financial literacy, personal wellness, car maintenance and household hacks.
- Look into offering a language class in the library
- Offer a recurring technology class that educates patrons on various digital concepts and services, especially those offered by the Library itself.
- Expand both children and adult collections that support lifelong learning.
Goal #3 : Improve collections for our public and make it easier for patrons to find items they are looking for.
- Increase Reader’s Advisory skills of all staff by investigating training opportunities.
- Consider forming a reader’s advisory team to build experience.
- Look into grant opportunities that would allow us to purchase different formats for our patrons.
- Improve our displays so that our patrons have a better understanding of what types of materials we offer.
- Assess, weed and build both children and adult audio book collection.
- Assess, weed and build children’s collection.