Oral History Stories from Silver Lake
New in 2022
- In June 2022, Jane Kelsey spoke with Nikki Womack about floods and a Civil War Medal of Honor recipient. Listen Below.
Throughout the 2015 Adult Summer Reading Program, the Library facilitated collecting and sharing stories of the Silver Lake Community. The project is expected to continue as long as there are stories to tell.
- Episode 1 – Janet Martinek tells the story of the Phillips 66 gas station on Highway 24
- Episode 2 – Recollections of Silver Lake by Robert H Reeder and his sister Ermyl Broyles
- Episode 3 – June Blush tells a story of the Silver Lake School District
- Episode 4 – Francis Wehner and John L Wehner share the history of their family businesses
- Epsiode 5 – Mike Burton talks about Legion Baseball in Silver Lake
- In 2010, Carrie Podlena interviewed her grandfather George Reamer about the 1951 Flood.
Here is a list of potential Silver Lake Stories that have come up in conversations the last few weeks. Do you have any other suggestions?
Paul Snavely and old grade school
J. Thomas Lumber Company
Kellner Jetty and Kellner Family History
Silver Lake Bank
Mays Family Hotel, Restaurant, Tavern
Monday Night Movies
The Lions Club
Masonic Lodge/Eastern Star/Odd Fellows Lodge
The LaFromboise Home
The Baptist Church
The Methodist Church and fire of 1984
The Craig House and Station
Ken Lilley properties and the Post Office
The Fisher House
Wards and Calderwood’s IGA Store
Schools and High School fire of 1952
Any and all current businesses in Silver Lake
The Library and the Farmers Market
Barney’s Barber Shop
The XYZ Club